Thursday, August 16, 2007

New member/August task

Hello everyone!
My August task is something that I have desperately needed to do for a long time: I am getting my Stashbusting Challenge off the ground. This involves the following:
1) Posting the challenge to my blog, complete with the ground rules I am to follow re any additional money spent on supplies to complete projects;
2) Cataloguing my stash on Ravelry (which I haven't taken a lot of time to check out so far, but I have been referred there by a few other knitters);
3) Getting tickers for all of my WIPs on the blog, which in itself should shame me into finishing the dozen or so sad, neglected projects sitting in my apartment that are about 2 hours away from completion. This will also, hopefully, cause me to curb my habit of starting new projects halfway through current ones.
I have a little problem with impulse control. This is most of my stash here (it's a king size mattress):

There's also some at the foot of the bed that I couldn't fit in the frame. You can't tell from the picture, but the yarn is piled about 8 inches deep on the mattress in most places. Believe it or not, even though it took me (I'm not kidding) six hours to pull out all my yarn out of its hiding places, set up this shot and then put all the yarn back, I did not stop buying yarn after taking this photograph.
This month's task may not be a knitted object but boy, is it knitting-related.

7 comments:

Tracy said...

Ok- now that's a stash. Impressive!

Kristina B said...

Quite some stash there, Stitchay! I'm going through the effort of cataloguing my stash myself. I've taken photos of about 1/2 of it and am appalled... er, trying not to caluclate how many $$$ went into it. But then, as a smoker, I'm used to throwing money out the window and at least this way I have something to show for it and am not destroying my lungs!

You have motivated me to pile my stash onto my bed (when DH is not around... watching me deal with 1/2 the stash tonight he said "don't you think you have enough yarn?" lol. I only have a queen size.

Good luck with the endeavours - and always remember that stashbusting can be fun! Tonight I came across stuff I didn't even realise I had... it felt like Christmas!

Cheers,

Kristina

C4G said...

OMG! That is like over a thousand dollars worth of stash! What on earth compels you to buy so much of it and then not use it?! I don't understand it...I don't purchase yarn until I have a project, but then again I spin most of what I knit until it comes to things for my Mum who doesn't care for wool. Then I have to buy acrylic yarn.

Tina in Wonderland said...

OMG!! That is one HECK of a stash! It looks like you could open up a yarn store . . . which I would probably shop at! LOL I am dying to find out how many skeins/balls/hanks you have there.

Samantha said...

Good luck in you goals. I did a bit a of hardcore de-stashing a few weeks ago. Now I am making a goal to buy mostly for specific projects in mind.

Unknown said...

I would say you LUCKY!!! lol I wish I had a stash!!!! =)

Jaye said...

Amazing!
I've been mulling over the Ikea catalogue the last few days looking for storage ideas for my stash as it currently all resides in boxes, bags and a few cedar chests. It's somewhat of a disaster. I'm afraid of what it will really look like once I pull it all out to organise it...will it look similar to yours? hehe, possibly ;0)

Good luck to you!