Thursday, August 23, 2007

September project-- Ughh!


I have started on my September project- chevron scarf from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. I intend to gift it to a friend for Christmas. Well, fincinally strapped recent law school grad that I am, I purchased some sock yarn from the local yarn shop which was on sale. I like the yarn but I hate the way it is pooling. I have tried all manners of correcting the pooling- I have not alternated the yarns, cut out sections of yarn I did not like, etc. See the results!
This pic is from my phone. Should I frog this and look for a differnt yarn. I could always do something else for September.
Ohh, is anyone on Raverly? If so, my id is Innerpeace1081!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks great, but if it's pooling that much, you should probably frog it =[
Too bad, I really like the yarn you're using.

And you are so lucky you got on Ravelry! I've been waiting forever!

Stitch-ay Woman said...

I can't tell from your post if you don't want the colors to pool, or if you would like them to be more defined, but there is a method of working with variegated yarn that results in more discrete sections of color in the finished piece; it involves knitting a repeat of your pattern (or a row or two, measuring the yardage used, and then re-winding your yarn so that the color sequences start at the beginning of that number of yards. Well, it's easier shown than described, but I read about it in a supplement to IK last fall. I've tried it and really liked the results.

Kristina B said...

I'm not sure if you tried working with two different balls of the same yarn from your post... i.e. two rows with one ball, two rows with another ball.

I happen to like the way it looks, but if you're not happy with it, maybe frog? would you be happy with a slightly wider scarf? (provided you have enough of the yarn to get the right length for you). If so, maybe casting on again with enough stitches for one additional rep of your pattern would cure the pooling problem?

I'm on Ravelry too! (KristinaB). I dropped you a message there as well.

Cheers,

kb

Anonymous said...

Oh, I never thought that maybe you wanted it to pool, you just didn't like the way it was happening.
I've heard that what Kristina B said works really well.